Taken from Ben Greenfield podcast #381
When should you take in nutrition after workout in “anabolic window” of 1-2 hours?
- take in amino
acids / proteinonly (no carbs necessary) if you trained fasted without pre-workout nutrition
- Take in both protein & carbs if you are trying to gain weight as it is tough to get in all the calories every day.
- Take in both if you are training aggressively two times per day and second workout is within 8 hours of first.
When you do NOT need post-workout nutrition?
- You take in a pre-workout meal that includes protein or better yet amino acids (EAA)
- when you are happy with where you are or are trying to lose a little fat and you are not working out a second time within 8 hours.
Benefits of not taking a post-workout meal.
- continue benefits from fasting, if you train in morning on empty stomach
- Your natural GH production is spiked when you sleep and during workout so eating Post-workout stops the GH benefits.
Good healthy post-workout ideas:
–Trader Joe’s Coconut Chunks
–Living Fuel SuperGreens
–Onnit Emulsified MCT oil